Sep 21, 2023
How to Choose the Best After School Care
We know that the workday doesn’t always begin or end with the school day, and we're proud to support busy families with after school programs. Some KLA Schools locations provide transportation to and from local elementary schools and give elementary-aged children opportunities to collaborate with peers, try new things, and receive help with homework.
If you’re interested in the best after school care for your child, here’s what to look for.
- Trained and nurturing staff who provide a holistic, multisensory educational experience in a child-focused way.
- Teachers with a good understanding of child development across age groups.
- A staff-to-student ratio that ensures children get individual attention.
- A learning environment that’s safe, child-friendly, and stimulating.
- Outdoor environments that are safe and secure.
- Quiet spaces for your child to do homework or relax on their own.
- Opportunities for your child to do homework but also have fun with friends.
- A good mixture of indoor and outdoor activities.
- Age-appropriate enrichment activities such as sports, arts, and STEAM projects.
- Activities and new friends that expand your child’s learning and understanding of the world around them.
- A schedule that fits your family’s own before-and after school needs.
Some examples of Reggio Emilia-inspired after school activities include:
- Hands-on STEAM experiments
- Artistic expression with a variety of materials such as clay, watercolors, and graphite pencils
- Outdoor games and sports that strengthen gross and fine motor skills
- Learning about music theory and exploring different instruments
A good after school program is one that supports your child’s overall education and development, promotes their independence and curiosity, encourages social activity, and communicates with you regularly.
Learn more about KLA Schools’ after school programs for school-age children.